Humble woman adopts her eight grandchildren
Friday, December 24, 2010
HUMBLE, TX (KTRK) -- At its core, Christmas is the celebration of a miracle and of the gift of a child. Well this Christmas, one woman in Humble will get to celebrate with a small miracle of her own -- the gift of eight children.Brenda Coleman's house in Humble is full of holiday spirit, even without the decorations. As of an adoption ceremony on Tuesday, her daughter's children are all officially her children. "I was like man, I was glad it was over," Coleman said. She adopted her eight little grandchildren because she couldn't bear to see split up. "If I didn't do it, they would be in foster care, and I couldn't live with that, so I just decided it's me who's got to do it," Coleman said. The 52-year-old has been raising the children for her drug-addicted daughter for years. "I thought I was done; I really did," she said. The oldest is 17 and the youngest is a year and a half. They all live in a four-bedroom house, and somehow it all works. "We get along mostly," one of her grandchildren said. When we visited, the children couldn't wait for Christmas. With some help, Coleman, a custodian at a local high school, has filled the tree. It's just one more reason the children are grateful she was their grandmother. "She's just amazing, that's the type of person she is," said one of her grandchildren, Alvinecia McQuarter. "Some days I'm tired but I just ask God to give me the strength to keep going," Coleman said. It will be the children's third Christmas with Coleman. Not much will be different, except that with granny, they're now home for good.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
humble, local, jessica willey
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos