Cause determined for fatal Katy house fire
KATY, TX (KTRK) -- Investigators believe they know what led to a fire in Katy over the weekend that left three women dead.The fire started around 7am Sunday at a home off Braken Carter near Town Hall in west Harris County. Investigators with the Harris County Fire Marshall's Office believe the blaze was accidental.
"Our investigation determined the fire was accidental in nature and was caused by a malfunctioning electrical appliance," said Lieutenant Investigator Gustavo Lopez with the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office.
Three people inside the home died, including one of the residents, a grandmother said to be in her 60s, her elderly friend and another woman in her 20s.
"It appears two of the victims were at the door," said Lopez. "They were on the verge of getting out. Most likely, they were overcome by the smoke."
Two of the victims were visiting from Mexico.
The names of the victims have not been officially released. A man who lived at the home wasn't there at the time of
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 17 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 12 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon