Teen rescues driver after car crashes into lake
RICHMOND, TX (KTRK) -- A teen pulled another teen out of a wreck in a lake near Richmond last night.The accident happened around 6:30pm Thursday in the Westheimer Lakes neighborhood in Fort Bend County. DPS troopers told us a teenage pizza delivery guy lost control of his vehicle and went into the water. Some bystanders tried to go in and help but the cold water prevented that.
Another teenager driving by, who happens to work with the driver, saw what happened and was able to rescue his co-worker. Both teens work at the Pizza Hut on South Mason Road in Katy.Witnesses say it was scary to watch.
"We heard some big sound and we got on the curve and saw the car floating," said an eyewitness.
"I saw that there was a car in the water and there was people trying to help him out, but nobody would go into the water because it was too cold. I got out of my car and tried to go and save him," said rescuer John Clark. "Eventually, we got him out of the water and they started trying to give him CPR and that's when the ambulance showed up."
Clark told us he just did what he hoped someone would do for him.Divers worked to pull the car out of the lake around 10pm.
The driver has been identified as Jonathan Kokel, 19. He's listed in critical condition at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Katy.
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years
- Things you didn't know about reindeer