Ice on Houston freeways and traffic conditions
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Freezing precipitation brings a coating of ice to Houston area freeways, causing accidents and stranding motorists.Icy conditions are creating havoc on the roads. Drivers are encouraged to stay off the roads if at all possible. Click the link below for the real-time traffic or get this map anytime on our ABC13 iPhone, Android or Blackberry app.
5:54PM FridayThe Harris County Toll Road Authority says it has now opened all toll roads. But temps are expected to fall below freezing this evening, and bridges and overpasses will once again be trouble spots. 1PM Friday
The Southwest Freeway at Spur 527 has reopened after being closed much of the day. Traffic is finally flowing through the area.Closed portion of I-10 @ Spur 330 has reopened.
METRO officials have are making changes in their schedules, due to the weather conditions.
- Riders are encouraged to call the METROLine at 713-635-4000 to determine if there are significant delays or modifications to their normal bus routes.
- METRO rail service continues with double cars at 12 minute frequencies rather than the usual six minute intervals.
- Airport Direct Service will depart each hour and the trip time will be longer.
- METRO expects to resume Park & Ride and HOV lane service on Monday.
- Weather and road conditions will be monitored and services adjusted as needed.
- METRO will continue to offer warming vehicles at 20 Transit Centers as weather conditions dictate.
- Customers are encouraged to visit www.ridemetro.org or call 713-635-4000 for more information about METRO transit services.
Fort Bend County Public Transportation is canceling its Texas Medical Center Commuter Service for Friday, February 4, 2011. Freezing rain and snow mix across the Houston metropolitan area has created dangerous conditions for travel necessitating the canceling of the commuter service. Similarly, TREK services area also canceled for today. Demand Response service will be In-County service for Medical and Work Only.
The Public Transportation Department is also indicating that its phone system is not working at this time.
Galveston County Office of Emergency Management says causeway traffic cut down to one lane each direction. Citizens urged to stay off the roads until at least noon when temperatures are expected to rise enough for all the ice to melt. The Galveston Police Department urge you to take extreme caution driving. There are reports of ice on Harborside Drive which is open. Noon Friday
As of noon, the League City Police Department reports that all city streets are now open. Some streets may refreeze, so public works crews are monitoring and de-icing as needed. Though roads are open LCPD continue to urge citizens to stay off the roadways if possible. The following roads are closed around Missouri City:
Trammel Fresno @ Fort Bend Toll Road (Vicksburg to Hurricane Lane)
Hwy 90A/S. Main St @ S. Gessner Road (bridge over S. Gessner)
Cartwright Road Between Brightwater & Colonial Lakes
State Highway 6 @ Fort Bend Toll Road (bridge over the toll road)
Additionally, the Missouri City Police Department is reporting that all bridges in the city have ice on them. Residents should exercise extreme caution when traveling and if possible, should stay home. Sanding operations are under way by city employees. The Austin County Sheriff's Office says I-10 is closed in Austin and Colorado county due to the weather conditions. No major accidents reported.
According to City of Angleton, due to severe icing and dangerous driving conditions, officials have shut down Hwy 288 at Hwy 35 for all southbound traffic, Hwy 288 and Loop 220 for northbound traffic.
Other closures include FM 523 at Hwy. 35 for all Southbound traffic and at FM 523 at Hwy 35 at CR 171 for Northbound traffic. Hwy 288 at Hwy 35 is closed for all east and westbound traffic.
Inside the City of Angleton, Loop 274 at Plum Street has also been shut down for all Southbound traffic and Northbound traffic is being diverted to the feeder road near the 1000 block of Hwy 288 - B.
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'