Thieves nab tires from new vehicles at dealership
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
ANGLETON, TX (KTRK) -- For some fast-moving thieves in Angleton, they managed to remove all of the rims and tires from nearly two dozen vehicles at an auto dealership.You wouldn't have found a manager's special at the Gulf Coast Ford dealership in Angleton on Wednesday. But the manager probably had some choice words for the thieves that left almost two dozen new vehicles sitting on blocks. "At least an hour or two, and that's the thing that's shocking to us; with so many cars passing by that no one had spotted it or seen it," said GM Mark Holian with the Gulf Coast Ford dealership. The dealership, sitting on the main highway, was hit late Saturday night into early Sunday morning. "I don't know how they could do all that damage without somebody noticing," Angleton resident Bill Greer said. After disabling some security lights, they went to work. Twenty-two Ford vehicles were left sitting on 4.x5.5-inch blocks. The thieves were picky, only going after 20-inch rims and tires. The 88 sets of rims and tires cost the dealership more than a $100,000 in damage. "There were three Edges, three Expeditions, 14 F150's and three F-250's," Holian said. Early in Angleton Police Department's investigation, they've discovered a pattern. Other dealerships in the greater Houston area have found their vehicles sitting on blocks as well. "Make sure that all these are connected, such as from Madisonville, Sealy and Houston. They all had some in November," Angleton Police Department Sgt. Kirk Coleman said. And now the alleged rim and tire ring, has hit Angleton, leaving some feeling like it's not such a small town anymore. "I think it's awful. How can this thing happen in such a small peaceful town?" another Angleton resident said. The general manager of the dealership says he's thankful it has insurance. The Angleton Police Department is coordinating its investigation with other departments who've experienced similar thefts in their jurisdictions.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
angleton, local, erik barajas
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water 29 min ago
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Police: West Houston apartment fire was no accident 19 min ago
- Drugs involved in deadly shooting in NW Harris Co., say deputies 17 min ago
- No charges expected after pedestrian hit in NW Harris Co. 16 min ago
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong 8 min ago
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Casey Curry's Friday forecast
25 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos