Aide: Giffords doesn't know details of shootings
raw video: Local vigil for AZ shooting victims
WASHINGTON -- U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has not yet been told the details of a Jan. 8 shooting spree in Tucson, Ariz., that wounded her and 12 others and killed six people, including a staff member, according to her chief of staff.
Pia Carusone said Wednesday on CBS's "The Early Show" that the Arizona congresswoman, who can carry on simple conversations, knows there was a traumatic event but has not been told about the severity of the wounds to others. That will happen in time when she's "at a higher level of communication," Carusone said.
"Doctors have said it's not really fair, as you can imagine, to tell someone something so tragic and someone that might not have the ability to ask the detailed questions that someone will have when they hear this news," she said.
Jared Loughner is charged in federal court with killing a federal judge and Giffords aide Gabriel Zimmerman and attempting to kill Giffords and two other staffers, Pamela Simon and Ron Barber.
Giffords was shot in the head and is undergoing intensive rehabilitation at TIRR Memorial Hermann in Houston.
Words in her vocabulary are returning and she is saying new words every day, Carusone said. Giffords can also sense when conversations turn serious and recognizes visitors, she said.
"Short phrases, simple thoughts. There's no doubt that she understands what's happening around her. She laughs at the appropriate times," Carusone said.
"She's just working really hard and progressing. It's paying off. And every day there's new progress that you see. So, you know, we feel very hopeful at her recovery."
Giffords' husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, has said he expects his wife to be well enough to be at Cape Canaveral, Fla., for his planned launch of the space shuttle Endeavour in April, although her doctor said it's too early to say.
arizona, texas medical center, local
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing husband's co-worker
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools 55 min ago
- Boy accused of setting mall fire, two others 30 min ago
- SWAT standoff in SW Houston ends peacefully
- 'Polar Express' blowing across US
- More than 2 million passwords stolen
- Rare identical triplets born in California 14 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Woman falls through ceiling trying to get Christmas decor 33 min ago