Man leads police on chase, crashes into restaurant
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
RICHMOND, TX (KTRK) -- A man has been arrested after leading police on a short chase and crashing his vehicle into a restaurant in the Rosenberg area on Monday night.Richmond police say officers responded to a disturbance in the parking lot of 140 Collins Road at around 10:15pm. Officers say they were advised that several Hispanic males were fighting and were trying to leave the area. Officers stopped a silver Lincoln Continental believed to be involved in the incident attempting to leave the area. Officers made contact with the vehicle which was occupied by two individuals. After a brief conversation with the occupants of the vehicle, the driver, later identified as Jose Manual Diaz, drove away and police began pursuing the vehicle. Diaz drove the Continental westbound on Jackson Street crossing into Rosenberg. Diaz lost control of the vehicle at the intersection of Avenue H and Herndon and crashed into PapaMex Restaurant located at 1008 Herndon Drive. Diaz exited the vehicle and again attempted to flee from police on foot. The passenger of the vehicle also exited, but was immediately detained after suffering injuries from the crash. Diaz was apprehended when he was found hiding behind a nearby business a short time later. Both Diaz and his passenger were transported to Oak Bend Medical Center for treatment. Diaz was released and transported to the Richmond Police Department were he was charged with evading in a motor vehicle causing serious bodily injury and failure to stop and give information. Diaz was also issued citations for driving without a license and failure to control speed. The passenger of the vehicle was not charged with anything, but he did suffer a possible broken back and broken ribs as a result of the crash. Diaz, 20, was transported to the Fort Bend County Jail for holding until bond is set by a judge.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
richmond, rosenberg, local
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 27 min ago
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades 29 min ago
- Black Friday shoppers' credit card info at risk
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Firefighters battle blaze at Katy Taco Bell 31 min ago
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell 6 min ago
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse 10 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field 3 min ago
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home
- Video: Flu widespread in Harris County 9 min ago
- Man found reading Bible after chase in NW Harris Co.
- Flu widespread in Harris County
9 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos