Final section of Sam Houston Tollway opens
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The final section of the Sam Houston Tollway opens today, making it possible for drivers to travel from the Eastex Freeway to just past Highway 90 without making a single stop.With the opening of the new northeast section, the Tollway finished ahead of schedule and under budget. Engineers had estimated the roadway at $550 million. Instead, it was finished two months earlier than planned for about $400 million.
Almost 60 years after planning began for the Sam Houston tollway, all 88 miles of the highway is complete.
This northeast portion that extends 13 miles between 59 north and U.S. 90 east was the final piece of the puzzle, now making it possible for drivers to travel from from the Eastex Freeway neat Intercontinental Airport to just passed U.S. 90 without stopping to traffic lights.
While some business owners are happy about it, some residents aren't.
"It's going to be traffic. I don't think that is good," said concerned resident Theresa Carston.
"We are really excited because of the amount of business that is going to drive our way," said Sign-O-Rama business owner Gregg Wiles.
A reforestation plan is also in the works along the corridor which will include planting nearly 60,000 trees. New homes and businesses are already popping up in the area.
The 13-mile section has three lanes in each direction. It will only be open to drivers with EZ tags.
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- David Tillman's weather forecast
44 min ago