Arrest made in fatal driveway shooting
ATASCOCITA, TX (KTRK) -- An arrest has been made in the murder of a man in his driveway in Atascocita. Deputies say Donald Frye was shot and killed Monday night, just minutes after running a quick errand.Giovanni Mora, 18, was arrested around 1am. There's still no word on how investigators tracked him down.
One neighbor said, "I'm relieved somebody is in custody."
It's an answered prayer for a heartbroken community, as neighbors now remove signs and banners begging for answers in the murder of 41-year-old Donald Frye. Harris County sheriff's investigators say they have now arrested and charged Mora with capital murder. Authorities say Mora shot and killed the father of three in his Atascocita driveway after Frye returned home from dropping off a movie at a nearby Redbox kiosk. Investigators believe Mora was trying to rob Frye when he pulled the trigger.
Chris Wiggins, a friend of the victim, said, "The family can rest now knowing that a suspect was caught."
"I'm happy about that. Closure is so important," a neighbor said.
Word of the arrest comes as family members are finalizing funeral arrangements. Too heartbroken to speak on camera, it's a bittersweet day for them. Meanwhile some family friends say while they're happy for the arrest, they will now focus their attention on helping to care for the little ones left behind.
"He was a great dad," Wiggins said. "He was always on Saturdays and Sundays playing with his kids. I know they are taking it pretty hard."
Mora has a robbery conviction from 2010 and a drug conviction from 2009. He is being held without bond.
atascocita, local, samica knight
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail