Firefighters have blaze in Magnolia under control
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
MAGNOLIA, TX (KTRK) -- Firefighters on late Tuesday were still putting out spot fires after a blaze erupted hours earlier and threatened an entire Montgomery County neighborhood.At the height of the blaze, 28 pieces of equipment, including dozers and a helicopter, were used to battle the flames that erupted just after 1pm along FM 1774. Texas Forest Service, the U.S. Forest Service, Tomball Fire Department, Rosehill and Cy-Fair fire departments all helped battle the blaze because it was in a heavily wooded area and high winds were spreading it quickly. At one point, the fire threatened the Magnolia Ridge Subdivision near FM 1488 and one family was evacuated. Many homes in that neighborhood are new or still being built. The Forest Service quickly dispatched a helicopter capable of making water drops and four bulldozers to the scene. In addition Cy-fair Fire Department brought their bulldozer. Authorities believe the fire may have started either by a cigarette butt or from sparks off the wheels of a passing train. It was difficult to determine as the fire was on both sides of the track and did run up against FM 1774. At 9pm, fire crews were still mopping up and putting out spot fires. There were just a few trucks remaining compared to the height f the fire when 28 pieces of fire equipment were on the scene.
(Copyright ©2013 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 35 min ago
- Residents say raw sewage is seeping into homes 13 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- IAH passengers struggle to reach destinations
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
abc13.com News Links