Missouri City man sentenced for gang-related shooting
MISSOURI CITY, TX (KTRK) -- A Missouri City man has been sentenced to more than two decades in prison after being convicted of engaging in organized criminal activity.Deandre Ashton Ward, 21, was sentenced to 21 years behind bars on Monday. According to Assistant Fort Bend County District Attorney Celena Vinson, rival gangs "FAB" (Forever About Bread) and "100 Clicks" were involved in an altercation at an Elkins High School football game in August of 2008.
After the game, shots were fired towards members of the FAB gang at a Missouri City McDonalds. After that shooting, Ward and other FAB members reportedly drove to a gas station on Highway 6 in Missouri City and confronted two people they believed to be members of 100 Click gang. Investigators say words were exchanged and as the victims left the gas station in their car, Ward pulled out a gun and started firing at them.
Ward and the others fled the scene in a vehicle, but were spotted an hour later by officers. They searched the vehicle and found two firearms, including one next to Ward. Forensic tests showed the gun next to Ward was the one used in the shooting.
At trial, Ward admitted being the shooter.
According to the Ft. Bend County DA's office, Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity enhances punishment for certain crimes when they are gang-related.
missouri city, local
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother
- 5 Things to Know for Today 49 min ago
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- More cold air moves in; sunshine returns tomorrow
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- Good idea or bad? Baby bouncy chair with attached iPad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle