Tourists excited about upcoming royal wedding
LONDON, ENGLAND (KTRK) -- Four days and counting -- the eyes of much of the world turn to London for the royal wedding between the future king and queen of England. The sheer magnitude of Prince William and Kate Middleton's marriage is astounding.At least 1,900 guests will attend Friday morning's $32 million ceremony at Westminster Abbey.
In the shadow of the most historic church in London, There's no mistaking it -- the feeling of excitement in the air. The city is gleaming. Streets and tube stations have been spiffed up. Flags signal the upcoming event, as London gets ready for the eyes of the world.
"A little bit cleaner, just a good atmosphere, really buzzy, everyone enjoying themselves," said one Londoner.
"We just came here yesterday but we could already feel it, everyone's excited," said one tourist.
"It's a spine tingling atmosphere. Everybody's talking about the wedding. You see the cups, paraphernalia, it's very exciting," said Rob Liberace from Virginia. "I never thought I'd be excited about something like that. I'm pretty jazzed about the whole thing really."
We've run into some locals who seem a bit ho-hum about it.
"We're all excited, obviously, but I think everyone's more excited than we are at the moment," said Londoner Gary Darnley.
But the streets are packed with tourists, taking picture after picture, and brimming with the energy of the upcoming nuptials.
"They think it's pretty cool that we think it's cool back home," said Parks.
We ran into Sara Parks, visiting from Houston.
"They were pretty shocked to hear how excited Americans were about the wedding," she said. "I told them, it's a pretty big exciting historic event."
"Everybody is really excited," said another tourist.
Tourists aren't the only ones out in force. Security is moving into high alert. Five thousand police and military officers will be patrolling the streets, as perhaps a million and a half people converge on central London on the big day.
Throughout this week, we'll be giving you the inside scoop and meeting Houstonians here for the fun. Later today you'll meet tourists from around the world, and see the unforgettable memorabilia.
Ilona will continue her reporting from London all week long. Later this week, she'll be joined by Eyewitness News reporter Christine Dobbyn.
prince william, kate middleton, royal wedding, local, ilona carson
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale