Help from Houston headed to Alabama
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- In the Houston area, we know all about recovering from storms and more help from our area is on its way the tornado victims.Workers at Igloo say that whether it's through family members, stories on Facebook, stories on TV -- they have been affected by the devastation in Alabama. Because of that, hundreds of Igloo coolers are now headed to the storm victims.
Workers spent more than an hour Thursday morning loading the coolers into a big rig headed to Alabama.
Igloo factory workers, office workers, management -- they say they want to show their support in a big way, with signs and a gift of about 1,000 coolers. The coolers will go straight to Alabama, where the death toll from tornadoes in that state alone is more than 230 people.
Igloo Marketing Director Sue Miller Payton has family in that area, and while they survived, some of their neighbors didn't.
"They were blessed," she said. "They lost some windows and a little bit of property damage. But it was nothing compared to their neighbors, where, directly behind them, seven people were killed. The whole Flat Rock area is totally devastated and flattened. Every church, I believe, in the community is gone. They don't even have any place for shelter. The people are sleeping on the ground. So whatever we can do to help them. It's a very small thing, a cooler, but every little bit helps."
With no power in the area for many of the residents, Igloo is hoping the coolers will help keep food, water and baby formula cold and at a safe temperature.
The coolers are expected to arrive in the impacted area around noon Friday.
alabama, local, samica knight
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents die from blunt force trauma 11 min ago
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston 13 min ago
- UH student robbed of phone on campus
- Harris County IDs suspects in meat market break-ins
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach 51 min ago
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans 47 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Travis Herzog's Wednesday weather forecast
29 min ago