Teen killed, another injured in police chase wreck
HUNTSVILLE, TX (KTRK) -- A late night joyride ended in tragedy after the 14-year-old driver leads authorities on a high speed chase, ending in a deadly crash.What's not clear is why the trooper wanted to pull over the teen driver in the first place. Grieving family members tell me Kolin Johnson was a typical 14-year-old who loved basketball and rap music. They also say he constantly struggled to overcome the emotional scars left behind from a rough childhood.
Looking at the mangled wreckage of the Toyota sedan, it's a miracle anyone survived the crash. The teen driver, 14-year-old Kolin Johnson of Conroe was killed. His 13-year-old passenger suffered a broken leg.
Johnson's cousin Luke Sasser said, "The family is real distraught right now and tore up."
Sasser says on Monday night Johnson stole the keys to his grandmother's car and went joyriding with his friend 13-year-old Gustavo Casillas who'd been staying the night. A DPS trooper tried to pull him over for a traffic stop. Johnson refused and led the deputy on a high speed chase starting in Willis up Highway 75 north, almost into Huntsville, then onto 1374. As he headed towards I-45, Johnson took a curve too fast.
Sgt. Terry Barnhill with Texas Department of Public Safety said, "The suspect was traveling over 100 miles an hour, he came through about a 45 degree turn, lost control of his vehicle and slammed into a telephone pole."
Johnson was recently let out of juvenile detention and was living with his grandmother, who was his legal guardian. With a father in prison and losing his mother at an early age, Sasser says Johnson was troubled but had a good heart.
"He was just starting to get his life back together and made a stupid mistake, and unfortunately it cost him his life," Sasser said.
Casillas was taken by Life Flight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. He remains in fair condition with a broken leg.
huntsville, local, andy cerota
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 31 min ago
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl 56 min ago
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake 5 min ago
- Child abducted walking home from school
- Amber Alert issued for missing 18-month-old child 9 min ago
- Hearing scheduled to terminate rights of Baby Chloe's parents
- Autopsy ordered on Texas City inmate who died
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- IRS official Lois Lerner: 'I did nothing wrong' 41 min ago
- New facial filler targets tiny wrinkles
- 1 killed, 3 students hurt in school bus accident in East TX
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos