Storms in N. Texas strand passengers at IAH
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Travelers in Houston are feeling the effect of the storms that hit north Texas and the Midwest.According to an airport spokesperson, about 100 travelers spent the night at Bush Intercontinental Airport after nine flights were diverted to Houston because of the violent weather in Dallas. Those passengers were given temporary beds to sleep on. Dozens of them lined the hallways in the baggage claim area.
While some planes already on their way to Dallas were diverted to Houston, others were canceled for the night altogether. This, after scattered tornadoes, hail and severe thunderstorms swept throught the Dallas area.
Travelers inside Dallas airports were moved to basements, interior stairwells and restrooms. In Dallas, dozens of flights were canceled and dozens of others were divereted and some of those passengers landed in Houston.
"We were shocked," said stranded passenger Joann Cisneros. "We actually came down thinking we would have to sleep in shifts and sleep on the linoleum so this is great. And they brought us wet ones and they brought us little care packages."
"It's hard to complain about weather where we're at given all the things that have taken place in Missouri and places like that," said Jeff Fox."Whenever there's an act of God like that, you just hope that you're not going to be victimized by that. So of course we all felt a sense of relief, but at the same time there is a great inconvenience," said Adam Payne. Many of those passengers tell Eyewitness News they have already been rebooked and hope to fly out before more expected bad weather.
bush intercontinental airport, local, samica knight
- DEA officer involved in shooting in Galleria area
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Another record could fall before Powerball drawing
- Boy, 5, drowns in Fort Bend County pool
- Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes
- Man shot, killed inside restaurant in NW Harris County
- Man found unconscious in NW Houston pool
- Man armed with knife robs Rosenberg bank
- Suspect dead, victim injured during shootout
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Star Trek shuttle craft to be displayed in Houston
- Photos: Memorial Hermann Ironman triathlon 59 min ago
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos