Park visitors cautioned about heavy holiday traffic
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Hermann Park is a popular holiday destination for Houstonians. But its popularity can cause traffic congestion in and around the park, especially when parking lots are filled.Park officials expect the Memorial Day holiday weekend, May 28 - May 30, will be no exception and expect traffic around the park to peak during the holiday especially from 9am to 6pm every day. Visitors are advised to plan accordingly and be prepared to experience delays.
In addition, drivers should be aware that when parking lots become full HPD will close vehicular entry to the park.
On Memorial Day, May 30, Hermann Park Drive will be open to northbound traffic only. Visitors are advised that vehicles will be allowed to enter from Cambridge Street and no entry to Hermann Park will be allowed from the Main Street side of the park on this day. Visitors should be aware that when parking lots inside the park become full HPD will close vehicular entry to the park.
The Houston Parks and Recreation department advises visitors to ride Metro or MetroRail to Hermann Park. Visitors who drive to the park can make use of expanded parking options available, thanks to an agreement with Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza. The current maximum rate for weekends is $7.00 (subject to change by Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza).
Visitors who choose to ride METRO's bus system or METRORail, which goes right past Hermann Park, can catch METRORail at the Fannin South Park and Ride lot located at 1604 West Bellfort or park downtown and catch METRORail at any of the downtown rail stations. Riders can disembark at Hermann Park/Rice University Station, at Fannin and Sunset; Memorial Hermann Hospital/Houston Zoo, at North MacGregor and Ross Sterling; or the Museum District Station, between Ewing and Binz.
Park patrons are advised:
- Be aware that traffic will be heavy, delays are expected and vehicular traffic inside the park will be closed by HPD when parking lots inside the park are full.
- Be aware that a new traffic circulation pattern will be in place for Hermann Park Drive on Monday, May 30th when Hermann Park Drive will only allow one-way traffic northbound from Cambridge Street.
- Be advised that HPD's Mobile Response Team (MRT), METRO Police and Urban Park Rangers will direct traffic at all intersections on Cambridge Street, Fannin and Hermann Park Drive.
- Be aware that it is no longer possible to turn left into Hermann Park. Pay attention to the "No Left Turn" signs posted along the light rail track.
For more information on the METRORail system, including a map, schedule and fares, call METROLine at 713-635-4000 or visit www.ridemetro.org.
For more information on the Houston Parks and Recreation Department, call 832-395-7022 or visit www.houstonparks.org.
hermann park, local
- Local post offices open today for holiday rush
- Parts of Astrodome to be demolished
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH 52 min ago
- Mom killed in SW Houston; husband charged 3 min ago
- No more ice, but cold weather continues
- Houstonians to pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston
- Suspect in 3 deaths lets baby go, kills self
- Susan Boyle diagnosed with Asperger's
- North Texans dealing with ice storm aftermath
- Teacher says he was fired because he's gay
- HFD captain receives award for courage
- Member of 2005 Astros World Series team returns
- Photos: North Texas covered in ice and snow