Power restored in TX City, La Marque after blackout
TEXAS CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Officials from Texas New Mexico Power tell us nearly 14,000 people lost power in Texas City. Among those losing power were some of the plants there, which began flaring after losing electricity.The outage lasted around two hours. We saw flaring at the Valero Plant, which had the worst of the problems, according to the Texas City Office of Emergency Management. There were fewer problems at BP, Dow, Marathon and Sterling.
Texas City was under a Level 1 emergency. There were some road blocks put in place around the plants during the power outage.
The power is back on and the plants are returning to normal operations.
"Generally they are on the same circuit. There are different circuits certainly because there is an awful a lot of power involved," said Bruce Clawson with the Texas City Office of Emergency Management. "But generally when it occurs on one, it occurs on all of them. That is what happened to the city. It tripped one substation and it began to trip other substations and they had to bring them back up and reverse auto."
The power company says the preliminary report is that the damp conditions this morning may have mixed with residue, possibly causing the outage.
This is the second outage in the area in the last month. Back at the end of April, a power outage affected three refineries and a chemical plant in Texas City.
la marque, texas city, local, elissa rivas
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 52 min ago
- Suspects posing as officers break into home 13 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man shot while behind the wheel in SE Houston 47 min ago
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30 4 min ago
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested 24 min ago
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button? 53 min ago
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer
- Travis Herzog's Tuesday weather forecast
12 min ago