Suspect in officer's death had been deported twice
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- We have new information about a man accused of hitting and killing a Houston police officer over the weekend.Not only is the suspect an undocumented immigrant, but federal authorities say he's been deported twice. Police say Johoan Rodriguez crashed his car through a police barricade at the North Loop and Yale on Sunday morning, killing HPD Officer Kevin Will. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement officials say Rodriguez is from Mexico and had been deported in December of 2005 and January of 2006. Rodriguez remains in a Harris County jail, charged with intoxication manslaughter of a peace officer, felony evading arrest and possession of a controlled substance. He has now been placed on an immigration detainer. Visitation, funeral scheduled for fallen officer A visitation for friends and family will be held at the Klein Funeral Home, 16131 Champion Forest Drive, from 11am to 9pm Wednesday. Funeral services will be held at Champion Forest Baptist Church, 15555 Stuebner-Airline Road, at 10am on Thursday to be followed by a private burial service.
Help for fallen officer's family
The 100 Club announced that donations are being accepted to its "Survivor's Fund," which provides benefits to the dependents of peace officers and firefighters who are killed in the line of duty.Officer Kevin Will, 38, died in the line of duty on Sunday morning, May 29, 2011, while working a hit-and-run motorcycle accident on 610 North Loop near Yale. A $10,000 check will be given to Officer Will's family to assist with any needs they may have. Additional financial support for the family will be provided, after a review is made by the Club, to include current financial and children's educational needs.
If you wish to help, contributions may be made at www.the100club.org, or mailed to 100 Club Survivor's Fund, 5555 San Felipe Street, Ste 520, Houston TX 77056-2733. One-hundred percent of "Survivor's Fund" donations go to the dependents of law enforcement officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty.
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home