Pink flashmob breaks out at Galleria
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- If you were at the Galleria on Saturday, you likely saw quite a bit of pink.Shortly after noon in front of Macy's, a pink flashmob broke out, complete with Disco superstar Gloria Gaynor, local philanthropists Lester and Sue Smith and more than 200 breast cancer survivors and their loved ones. [CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEO]
The event was put on to raise awareness for breast cancer, which strikes one in eight women nationally. The dancers were dressed in hot pink outfits, some with wigs and boas, all dancing to the live Gloria Gaynor performance of "I Will Survive." Gaynor traveled to Houston specifically for Saturday's event.
It was organized by the Smiths to take place around National Cancer Survivor's Day. Lester Smith is a two time cancer survivor whose wife, Sue, lost a sister to breast cancer. So it's a cause near and dear to them, and they're challenging others to get involved, as well.
"As a two-time cancer survivor, I wanted to celebrate the strength and courage of cancer survivors in a fun, unique and colorful way," said Lester Smith in a release issued Sunday. "My hope is that this tribute will create awareness about a disease that strikes so many women and families and invite participation in the Pink Well Challenge, so that more breast cancer organizations can get the support and funding they need."
The Pink Well Challenge will award a total of $1,000,000 to up to 20 eligible non-profit organizations, each involved in the fight against breast cancer.
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale