Astronaut Mark Kelly announces his retirement
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Astronaut Mark Kelly has announced his retirement from US Navy and NASA, effective this fall.Kelly made the announcement today on his Facebook page. After 25 years of service to our country, his retirement will take effect on October 1.
Kelly wrote, "Words cannot convey my deep gratitude for the opportunities I have been given to serve our great nation. From the day I entered the United States Merchant Marine Academy in the summer of 1982 to the moment I landed the Space Shuttle Endeavour three weeks ago, it has been my privilege to advance the ideals that define the United States of America."
During his 15 year career at NASA, Kelly has traveled to the International Space Station four times aboard space shuttles Endeavour and Discovery.
In his posting, he adds that his brother, Scott Kelly, continues to serve in NASA and the Navy. Kelly says he plans to spend more time with his two daughters, and his wife, Representative Gabrielle Giffords, as she continues her recovery from the shooting in Tucson, Arizona, last January.
Kelly and Giffords have also announced they have a deal for a joint memoir that will include the tragic shooting. The book is currently untitled and will be released by Scribner at a date to be determined. Kelly and Giffords will collaborate with Jeffrey Zaslow, best known for his work on Randy Pausch's million-selling "The Last Lecture."
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents dead after altercation
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Man shot four times in north Harris County
- Nurse recalls trying to save teen killed in wreck
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- Man found shot, tied up in SE Houston
- YouTube turns 9 today!
- Family, dog escape north Houston house fire
- IRS awards bonuses to 1,100 who owe back taxes
- Putting gadget germ cleaners to the test
- Gold bars removed from man's stomach
- Company creates 'anti-thigh gap' jeans
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Create a bracelet from the recycling bin