Mall says no to sagging pants
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Pants worn far below the waist of young men is a common sight, but one Houston mall is taking a stand.
Wearer Derrick Johnson said, "Man, it's just a fashion statement. It's just something we do."
But sagging is something no longer allowed at Greenspoint Mall now that it's changed its code of conduct. Self-described "saggers" like Gregory Power say they don't like the policy one bit.
"I think it's outrageous," he said.
An ABC13 Eyewitness News viewer sent us a photo of the "no sagging pants policy" Greenspoint Mall recently posted at its main entrance. Some shoppers like Irma Garza say it's about time.
"I think that's good, because it makes the mall look bad with all the guys wearing the pants down," Garza said.
No one from the mall would talk on camera about the new no sagging pants policy, but a Greenspoint spokeswoman told me the fashion trend was causing such an issue, security kept asking management to do something about it.
"I do support the Greenspoint policy that they have," said shopper Latoya Jernigan. "Pull your pants up. Pull them up! It's very embarrassing walking around here like that."
"I just won't shop there then," Power said. "Simple as that."
We spoke with KTRK Legal Analyst Joel Androphy via Skype this afternoon. He says private businesses have the right to enforce a dress code, whether shoppers like it or not, as long as the rules don't discriminate by race, religion or gender. "The rationale is they have a lot of people coming into the mall and they have to cater to a lot of concerns, and most people are uncomfortable around people whose pants are halfway down," said Androphy.The mall spokeswoman says if security spots someone sagging, they'll be asked to pull their pants up. She says if that shopper refuses, they'll be asked to leave.
local, demond fernandez
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'