Walker County jail fugitive captured in SW Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Investigators have arrested a man who escaped from the Walker County Jail on Tuesday. Trent Archie was finally found here in Houston, and now his mother is in custody, as well.Under personal escort from the Walker County sheriff Friday, Archie walked slowly back to jail, clearly telling us why he escaped.
"Trent, why did you escape?" we asked.
"I'm not getting a fair trial here in court," he said.
"That's why you decided to run?"
"Yes ma'am," he answered.
Archie escaped from Walker County Jail in Huntsville early Tuesday morning. Authorities say it was a tip that led to Archie being found at a Houston home in the Sharpstown area Thursday night.
Archie was found unarmed and taken into custody after a brief foot chase. Police believe Archie knew someone at the house, but no other arrests were made there.
"He claimed he could hear the search helicopter and the neighborhood dogs barking and, of course, being paranoid under the circumstances, he fled out the rear door," said Walker County Sheriff Clint McRae.
LaToya Wright was arrested this week. She's believed to have helped Archie escape and stashing a getaway car for him.
But it was another arrest at the steps of the jail that took us by surprise.
"Jackie, what's happening? Did you help him?" we asked Archie's mother, Jackie Archie.
"No," she answered.
"Why specifically is the charge?"
"Hindering apprehension," said one of the arresting deputies.
Jackie Archie, say authorities, is accused of helping her son by not providing information that could have led to his arrest. She told us Friday she didn't know where her son was, but did have a message for him.
"I love him and I have his back," she said. "I will do anything possible to make sure he gets legal representation."
The sheriff's office tells us they're reviewing policy after the way Archie escaped. He reportedly was using the phone when he overpowered a guard and got away.
huntsville, local, cynthia cisneros
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos