Cops make big pot bust in Montgomery Co.
PORTER, TX (KTRK) -- Police in Porter made a huge drug bust late yesterday. They pulled over an 18-wheeler with a shipment of fruit, but stuffed inside, they also found more than 2,300 pounds of marijuana.At first search, the load in that big rig looked normal with pallets of mangos, limes, and other fruit. But a more detailed search revealed thick black packages that turned out to be a lot of marijuana.
A Montgomery County law enforcement officer saw the big rig stalled along Highway 59 and Northpark yesterday around 5pm. After speaking with the driver, authorities say the officer became suspicious and with consent to search the truck, found about 2,500 pounds of packaged marijuana.
The pot was tucked away and mixed in with boxes of produce. The Montgomery County district attorney estimates the drugs' street value at $2.5 million.
"What we are trying to do is go to the source and find out where it came from, perhaps where it was going to," said Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon. "So the combined agencies will continue their investigation. Hopefully it will result in a successful prosecution."
The drugs were seized. The unidentified driver was arrested and will be booked into the Montgomery County jail.
As for the fruit, the district attorney says it will likely be donated or thrown out.
local, samica knight
- Child at center of Amber Alert found safe
- Details to be released on plans for 2017 Super Bowl
- Burglars pose as construction workers during jewelry heist
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces 13 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related 30 min ago
- Overturned big rig causing rush hour problems on 288 5 min ago
- Jodi Arias jury deadlocked but must continue
- Baby found in trash bag can have new parents
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- What's the farthest point from the Earth's center?
- Sketch released of suspect in fatal shooting in southeast Houston
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved