Red Light camera citations resume in Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Red light camera citations in Houston resumed Saturday, city officials said.This means that you will get a ticket if you run a red light in one of 50 intersections in Houston.
This announcement came Saturday evening -- a day after the city of Houston lost another legal battle in the dispute with the company that installed red light cameras around the city.
Federal Judge Lynn Hughes handed down a late decision on Friday denying the city's request to appeal his decision that invalidated the red light camera election.The city asked the judge for permission to appeal his initial decision two days ago. At the same time, Mayor Annise Parker turned the red light cameras back on, saying the city couldn't afford to pay ATS millions of dollars in damages. The judge has set a hearing date for July 19 for both sides to bring additional issues. It could bring up the problem that the city may have to pay ATS for damages during the period of time the red light cameras were turned off. After the hearing on July 19 is wrapped up, the city would then be eligible for the standard appeals process, like to the appellate courts.
The city is calling this a positive step because the judge is moving quickly through the process in his court, so the city can have a standard appeal.
red light cameras, local, miya shay
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos