Genesee Towers will come to life for Flint Art Walk
FLINT -- (07/08/11) -- The Flint Public Art Project planned something somewhat wacky for Friday's Art Walk in downtown Flint.
"We're pulling off something that's very uncanny and unique and something that people are going to stop in their tracks," said Jessica Back, Flint Public Art Project producer.
For the first time in 10 years, Genesee Towers will come to life, projecting colored lights and music, while performance artists dance in the windows.
"We're going to have a drag queen, the Fischer Body Burlesque Girls, hula hoopers, someone on the ground level spinning poi, and just movers who are interested in coming and being in the windows and looking fabulous," Back said.
Only the performers will be allowed inside the Towers, and getting approval and waivers from the city to make it happen wasn't easy.
"They asked us lots of questions and had some concerns, but in the end, they wanted to accommodate us," said Stephen Zacks, Flint Public Art Project director.
Bleachers will be set up at street level, and organizers hope spectators leave with new ideas on how the condemned structure might be made useful again in the future.
"There is a kind of magic and a kind of power in re-imagining something that's been abandoned for a long time, and people want to see it thrive in the city, and so do we," Back said.
flint, events, community, arts, local, marc jacobson
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course