Thieves steal coupons out of local papers
TOLEDO, Ohio -- Couponers rely on the Sunday paper to pull those little slips of paper that save them so much money. Most of us have heard of the TLC Show "Extreme Couponing".
Just last month, a Sylvania couple who appeared on the show talked to 13abc. It's no doubt created some extreme couponers, but one woman says it's also creating some extreme thieves as well.
Shannon Matesick has been clipping coupons ever since watching "Extreme Couponing". She spends about 4 hours a week clipping and collecting and sometimes she not only saves, but she also makes money. She says, "When I went, the Olay was on clearance for $3.49, so I made a profit of $2 and some change."
Shannon considers herself an extreme couponer, but recently she noticed thieves are getting a little extreme too. "Without looking inside the paper, I grabbed 3 papers, brought them home, looked inside, no coupons."
Here at Stop and Go on Byrne and Dorr, workers say that coupon theft is such a problem that they called the local newspaper to complain.
13abc called Toledo police. They say they're not receiving complaints. Shannon admits a $2 newspaper isn't worth the energy. Instead of complaining, she found her own solution. "I've learned to look inside the papers. Some places still don't have them, some only have one of the inserts versus both. You have to watch where you go." And apparently, which paper you grab from the stack.
13abc also spoke to the Toledo Blade. They say they have received complaints about this issue, and if your coupons are missing from your paper, call the Blade and they will send out more.
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama 37 min ago
- Know the guy in this surveillance video? 10 min ago
- Vandals strike vehicles in Woodland Heights
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Missouri City family gets backyard back 22 min ago
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel named Heisman finalist 43 min ago
- Dad guilty of murder in daughter's death
- Toilet of the future changes how you ... sit
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools
- Mom charged after 4-year-old found in parking lot