Volunteer fire department loses station to fire
TRINITY, TX (KTRK) -- They're used to rescuing others, but a volunteer fire department in Trinity County now needs help after a fire at their station.The blaze broke out just early Sunday at the 356 Volunteer Fire Department near Onalaska at the Trinity-Polk county line.
Other fire departments responded to the fire, but it was too late to save the equipment.
Chief Jessie Baker said flames destroyed their station, a tanker and three of their trucks.
To make matters worse, the station is uninsured. The only insurance they had was liability on the trucks, officials said.
To add to that, their budget has been depleted because of the massive wildfire that erupted last month in their area. 356 Fire Department spent over a week battling the fire with extensive fuel costs
Unlike departments in other counties that are funded by tax dollars, 356 Volunteer Fire Department is funded by donations. There are no paid staff members, and much of the equipment is obtained as hand-me-downs from other departments.
Onalaska and Caney Creek Fire Departments have each made one of their trucks available to the 356 volunteers. They still need new protective gear, self-contained breathing apparatuses, fire hoses, fire trucks and other equipment -- plus a new building.
"We're basically starting from ground zero to rebuild," Baker said.
Firefighters do not know what started the blaze. They suspect it may have been ignited by a faulty electrical switch on their brush truck. It remains under investigation.
Anyone wishing to help the 356 volunteers can mail donations to: 356 Volunteer Fire Department, 12427 F.M. 356, Trinity, TX 75862. You can also contact Chief Baker at 936-662-2964.
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 28 min ago
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?' 2 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed 31 min ago
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing 41 min ago
- Federal government could get involved in school fight 11 min ago
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen 20 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words 3 min ago
- CVS could face millions in fines for missing painkillers 26 min ago