Activists call for faster testing of rape kits
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Community groups are coming together, demanding the Houston Police Department get to work testing thousands of sexual assault kits. HPD says they take sexual assault allegations very seriously. But activists claim that each day the kits go untested, a sexual predator remains loose.The Greater Houston Coalition for Justice acknowledges that HPD is working on the issue, but they believe that work should happen faster and with more resources put toward testing the backlog of rape kits.
The Houston Police Department says it has about 4,300 rape kits in the property room freezer. It says it has hired 10 contractors to examine the kits for biological material which could be submitted for testing.
Still, civil rights groups insist that justice has been delayed for long enough in these cases that have not been tested and more resources need to be put toward testing.
"This is what we need to do. We need to invest in more equipment, make it a state of the art crime lab and continue with the process until we catch up," said Sylvia Gonzales with Hispanic Women in Leadership.
HPD also tells us that if a case is a priority, investigators can request it be tested as soon as possible. However, they do admit there is a backlog and they can't say how long it would take to clear it up.
houston police department, local, elissa rivas
- Traffic headache remains near La Porte
- Plans for Astrodome's fate to be discussed
- Chrysler agrees to recall 2.7M older model Jeeps
- Officials: Homeowner fatally shoots intruder
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Authorities raid alleged stash house in SE Houston
- 8 hurt, some seriously, when car jumps curb in NYC
- Texas Equusearch hit by criminals
- Mentally disabled mother, child held captive in Ohio
- Juneteenth celebrations being held in Galveston, Houston 26 min ago
- Residents fire through door, killing woman
- otrc: Johnny Depp talks split with Vanessa Paradis
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos