Body found in creek may be missing NC woman
FORT BEND COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- A dismembered body found in Fort Bend County on Sunday may be a North Carolina woman who went missing more than a week ago.
Witnesses say a human torso was found around 4pm Sunday in Oyster Creek in the 4300 block of Skinner at McCrary near W. Belfort. Officials say the body was in at least four pieces.
The Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office has not released the victim's name, but investigators believe these may be the remains of 27-year-old Laura Ackerson from Kinston, North Carolina -- outside Raleigh.
Ackerson was last seen July 13 after she dropped off her children at their father's house in Raleigh. Officials say she was in the Houston area visiting relatives.
They also say she was in the middle of a child custody dispute. Her ex-husband is reportedly the prime suspect.
According to deputies, it appears the murder was committed elsewhere and the body was dumped at the creek, which is not far from where Ackerson was staying with relatives.
Raleigh police have taken over the investigation.
Stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for more information as it becomes available.
north carolina, local
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- Sketch of suspect in west Houston sexual assault released
- UK arrests 2 men over incident with Pakistan plane 21 min ago
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- 13 Things to Know for Friday
- Tomball man accused of setting mom's car on fire
- Party big... and save big too! 4 min ago
- Amanda Bynes arrested over bong
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos