Missing mother's SUV found abandoned and bloody
HUMBLE, TX (KTRK) -- A young mother from Humble has been missing for four days now. Amber Elkins' family believes something bad has happened to her -- they just don't know what.Homicide investigators are involved because foul play is suspected in the disappearance of Amber Elkins. Her family says the 20-year-old would never willingly walk away from her responsibilities as a parent to her nine-month-old daughter.
Elkins means everything to her older brother.
Cam Michel said, "We would laugh... We'd get in the car and jam out."
The last time he talked to his sister was Sunday night. No one has seen her since then.
On Monday morning, Elkins' SUV was found abandoned at a car wash near Humble along the banks of Greens Bayou. Tommy Johnson, who owns the auto tinting shop next door, called authorities on Tuesday after he noticed the passenger side front window had been bashed in. There was also blood inside.
"All over the seat, all over the floor, all over the console. It was a mess," Johnson told Eyewitness News.
Elkins, who's been fighting for custody of her daughter, was supposed to be in court Monday but never showed up.
Early that same morning, about 3:30am, several hours before the SUV was spotted, Elkins' mother got a call from her daughter's cell phone. When she called back an hour later a man answered and hung up.
A series of strange text messages would follow, including one where someone claiming to be Amber said she needed gas money. By 8:30am they stopped. Elkins' brother fears the worst.
He said tearfully, "I don't know what happened, but if anybody knows anything please, please come forth and just let somebody know. She is such a wonderful person."
Relatives say investigators searched the area around Greens Bayou. It's unclear what, if anything was found. They also tell us that investigators talked to a man Elkins had recently been dating but so far no one has been arrested in connection with her disappearance.
Elkins is described as 5'8' to 5'9" tall, with black hair and brown eyes. Elkins has two stars tattooed on her wrist and the word ACE tattooed on her ankle.
Anyone with information on her disappearance is asked to contact the Harris County Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit at 713-967-5810 or call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS (8477).
humble, local, andy cerota
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co. 34 min ago
- Frustration mounts for church members 13 min ago
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- Lady Gaga addresses difficulties in SXSW keynote
- Rare early map of Texas offered at auction
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant