Body found by volunteers searching for missing mom
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX (KTRK) -- Volunteers searching for a missing Humble-area mother found a body Sunday.Now, authorities are working to identify it.
According to officials, the body was found by a Texas Equusearch volunteer Sunday afternoon near FM 1314 in Montgomery County.
Search crews are wondering if it's the remains of Amber Elkins, a 20-year-old Humble-area mother who has been missing for a week.
Harris County Sheriff's Office investigators said the body was moved to the Montgomery County Medical Examiner's office for identification.
Even before the discovery, Amber's boyfriend of just one month -- 31-year-old James Clarke Jr. -- was charged in her murder.
Hundreds of volunteers have searched in the heat for days.
"They've still got a big, empty space until we can find her, and they can have some kind of resolution and closure to this," said Frank Black with Texas Equusearch.
Grieving relatives are waiting for answers.
"It's 100 degrees out here. Help me bring my baby home so I can lay her to rest," Amber's father, Mike Elkins, said.
Search parties started in the Humble area where Amber's vehicle was found on Monday with smashed windows and blood inside.
"From experience, we've learned how to profile areas that we go into, so we're going into those areas and eliminating them," Black said.
Just a few hours after the body was discovered, friends and family held a vigil at a VFW post on Waverly Rd. in Humble. They are still dealing with their pain and the loss of the mother of a nine-month-old daughter.
Once charges were filed against Clarke, the family lost hope of finding Amber alive. Now, it's just about finding her. The answers to the discovery can't come soon enough.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com as we continue to follow this developing story.
local, christine dobbyn
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 9 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW 8 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin