Off-duty HPD officer fatally shoots suspected burglar
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An off-duty Houston police officer shot and killed a man who she says tried to break into her house.
The shooting happened on La Seine near Meadowhill in northwest Harris County.
We are told the officer has been with the Houston Police Department for two years. Her name has not been released.
All of this may have been a random burglary attempt, but -- for a burglar -- it was the wrong house to pick.
Neighbor Connie Kieschnick heard a gunshot at 12:30pm Monday. It got her attention.
"I heard somebody talking, saying something. And then I heard two shots in a row. Boom, boom," Kieschnick said. "And then I heard someone scream."
The noise came from next door in a fenced-in backyard -- the aftermath of a shooting that investigators say pitted a 26-year-old female off-duty HPD officer against a man they say was breaking into her house.
She grabbed her gun, detectives say, and walked out to confront the man.
A physical struggle ensued and he tried to get her weapon, officials said.
"Most of these struggles, everyone thinks they can go on for 15 minutes, but it was probably pretty short," said Sgt. Robert Spurgeon with HPD Homicide.
Neighbors described hearing three shots in all. The man died in the backyard.
There were also reports of a stranger walking up and down the block an hour before the shooting, but it is unknown if that was the same man.
There have been issues with home break-ins in the past, neighbors say, but nothing recently.
People felt safer knowing some neighbors work in law enforcement, but Monday's incident shows that's no guarantee.
"I just started feeling comfortable again. Now I'm back to being scared again." Kieschnick said.
There is no word on the suspect's identity. Investigators are not yet saying if he was armed.
local, deborah wrigley
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 51 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 15 min ago
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Suspected drunk driver in Atascocita fatal crash due in court 12 min ago
- Two charged in death of North Texas student