Police: Richmond woman scammed out of $1,000
RICHMOND, TX (KTRK) -- Richmond police are sending out a warning after they say a woman there was scammed out of $1,000.
Investigators say the woman was called on Tuesday and told she had won a Texas Grant. The person who called her had the woman's Social Security number and date of birth and confirmed it with her during the call.
Police say the caller then gave the woman a reference number, as well as a phone number and name to call to collect the grant funds.
The woman was told to ask for a Gary Taylor when she called, which is what she did. The person on the other end identified himself as Gary Taylor, say police, and told the victim he would have the money transferred to her bank account within the next 30 minutes.
The victim told police she became suspicious and started asking questions, at which point, she was put on hold. After several minutes on hold, she hung up, checked her bank account and noticed $1,000 missing from her account.
Richmond police say this should serve as a reminder not to give out any personal information over the phone, especially driver's license numbers, Social Security numbers or bank account information. And if the caller already has your info and wants you to verify it, don't. If you have questions about a company, contact the Better Business Bureau. And always remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive