Police: Richmond woman scammed out of $1,000
RICHMOND, TX (KTRK) -- Richmond police are sending out a warning after they say a woman there was scammed out of $1,000.
Investigators say the woman was called on Tuesday and told she had won a Texas Grant. The person who called her had the woman's Social Security number and date of birth and confirmed it with her during the call.
Police say the caller then gave the woman a reference number, as well as a phone number and name to call to collect the grant funds.
The woman was told to ask for a Gary Taylor when she called, which is what she did. The person on the other end identified himself as Gary Taylor, say police, and told the victim he would have the money transferred to her bank account within the next 30 minutes.
The victim told police she became suspicious and started asking questions, at which point, she was put on hold. After several minutes on hold, she hung up, checked her bank account and noticed $1,000 missing from her account.
Richmond police say this should serve as a reminder not to give out any personal information over the phone, especially driver's license numbers, Social Security numbers or bank account information. And if the caller already has your info and wants you to verify it, don't. If you have questions about a company, contact the Better Business Bureau. And always remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore'
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle