Alleged serial rapist in police custody
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston police say they have a suspected serial rapist in custody. He's now charged with two horrifying sexual assaults.
Both cases happened just days apart in Clear Lake and police believe there may be more victims.
The Clear Lake woman who rented a room to 44-year-old George Herashio Moore III -- who used the alias 'Chris Jones' -- is relieved that Houston police arrested the man who she says held her at gunpoint and attempted to rape her before vanishing.
"I hope he never gets out. He is a vicious -- has no remorse. I feel stupid," the woman told us.
She also feels guilty for not running a background check after what police say Moore did to two women who live nearby.
"It is my responsibility," she said.
Investigators say Moore, a convicted rapist, broke into two neighboring homes, sexually assaulting her 58-year-old neighbor on August 5, and her 19-year-old neighbor on August 8. Moore is charged with rape and burglary in the two assaults.
During the assault on the teenager, investigators say Moore tied up her mother and grandmother and held her at knife-point.
"He tied up two women, locked them in a closet and sexually assaulted the younger one; and the younger one was severely beaten," said Detective Robert Weiner of the HPD Homicide Division.
Moore has a long criminal record including at least three convictions -- one for sexual assault in Galveston in 1993; another for possession of a controlled substance in Harris County in 1991; and a conviction for assault in Dicksinson in 1983.
He was last released from prison in 2010. He was wanted since then for not registering as a sex offender.
On Wednesday night, police followed him to a southeast Houston motel where they arrested him.
"We are urging anyone who believes they may have been sexually assaulted to come forward," said Det. Weiner.
Investigators call Moore a serial rapist. They believe he could be involved in other cases, and are looking at two other cases.
Moore is in police custody and expected to appear before a judge soon.
la marque, league city, clear lake, local, katie mccall
- Do you know this fake cop rapist? 16 min ago
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels 48 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink 29 min ago
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket 1 min ago
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Former detention officer charged with official oppresssion 12 min ago
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations