Survey ranks cost of school zone fines in Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Using a hand-held cell phone while driving in a school zone in Pearland will cost you more than in any other southeast Houston city, according to a survey by Allstate Insurance. And if you speed through a school zone, it'll cost you the most in Shenandoah.
Eighty police departments around the state were surveyed, including 15 in the Houston area, to find out the average cost of a traffic ticket for both speeding and using a cell phone in a school zone.
For cell phone use in school zones, the average fine in the Houston area is $221, according to the survey. Pearland averaged the highest cost citation at $327, which also matches the highest fine in the state.
Below is a list of the communities surveyed:
- Pearland $327
La Porte $322
Missouri City $227
Lake Jackson $205
Sugar Land $196
Texas City $120
As for speeding in school zones, the average cost of a ticket for drivers going more than 10 miles per hour over the speed limit was $209. Fines in Shenandoah were the highest, followed by Bellaire and Houston.
- Shenandoah $272
Sugar Land $226
Lake Jackson $220
Missouri City $204
La Porte $201
Texas City $145
Just something to keep in mind as you see those school zone signs.
- ABC News: Oklahoma tornado death toll rises to 91 1 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 2 min ago
- Ex-teen sex slave devotes new life to helping others
- Houston Super Bowl committee making its pitch in Boston
- Two arrested for trespassing after found on roof of church 22 min ago
- Toby Keith says Oklahoma hometown is 'strong' 34 min ago
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra