Search underway for accused child molester in Sealy
SEALY, TX (KTRK) -- The FBI, Texas Department of Public Safety and local officials are actively searching for an armed fugitive in Austin County.
According to investigators, 31-year-old Charles Alan Dyer of Duncan, Oklahoma is wanted by the FBI for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
As SWAT teams and the FBI gathered at the Sealy Community Center, residents grew curious about the activity across town
"We don't have that much crime here. We are very concerned," Loretta Johnson said.
Agents, deputies and officers searched neighborhoods and wooded areas for Dyer, but it's unclear what prompted the manhunt.
"All I can tell you is there was information that he may have been here, and that's what brought us here," Shauna Dunlap, spokesperson for the Houston FBI office, said.
Dyers is charged with the rape of a child. A mistrial was declared in his first trial on the charge, and his second trial was set to start Monday.
He never showed up for court.
The former U.S. Marine is considered armed and dangerous.
"We want to get this individual back in our custody without any harm, without any violence. We're hoping to appeal to that honorable side that we know he had and possessed, and he'll do the right thing and turn himself in wherever he might be," Dunlap said.
The manhunt was enough to change the daily routines of some residents -- from bike riding to dog walking.
"My manager called and said to be careful. She knows I walk his dog and my dog in the evening and told me to be careful," Laura Pittman said.
"It's hard to say. If he's armed, you really can't do nothing. They'll just have to catch him," Gregory Tubner said.
While that seems to be the consensus around here, there's also the hope that Dyer someplace other than Sealy.
Anyone who sees anything suspicious or has any information regarding the whereabouts of Dyer should contact their local law enforcement agency, their local FBI office or call 1-800-CALL-FBI. You may remain anonymous.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for updates as new information becomes available.
local, christine dobbyn
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 17 min ago
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 54 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 28 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- John Paul's legacy stained by sex abuse scandal
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
53 min ago