Teen severely injured in car driven by 13-year-old
FREEPORT, TX (KTRK) -- A teenager was severely injured in a wreck involving a vehicle allegedly driven by a 13-year-old in Freeport.
Freeport police say on Saturday morning a 13-year-old girl was driving the car. Tthe owner of the car -- Andrea Cantu, 22 -- was in the passenger seat, Rodney Harris, 22, and a 16-year-old girl were in the backseat when the accident happened.
Police say the group had been partying at a home in Freeport, drinking alcohol and taking pills, when they decided to drive somewhere. They went to a Bucee's, where they backed into a pickup truck, police say. After calling police, the driver of the pickup followed the car which left the scene and later hit a pole on Ave. A at Fisher in Freeport. According to police, that's when the 16-year-old girl in the car was severely injured.
The girl was transported via ambulance to Memorial Hermann Hospital, and Freeport police say they were initially told her arm was amputated, but apparently doctors were able to reattach it. They were told doctors don't expect her arm to be usable and she is in intensive care.
Andrea Cantu and Rodney Harris are charged with public intoxication, and may also be charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, say Freeport police. They are awaiting a toxicology report on the 13-year-old driver to decide whether she will face charges.
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Suspects posing as officers break into home
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Cop throws K-9 through suspect's window after chase
- UFC heavyweight fighter dies at age 30
- Man accused of pranking notable coaches about jobs arrested
- Great deals on Wednesdays at Thrift Store Outlet
- Would you 'Like' a Facebook 'Sympathize' button?
- 'Sound of Music' actress Eleanor Parker dies at 91
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- Doctor accused of poisoning fellow physician due in court
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos