Newborn killed by dog in Cypress
CYPRESS, TX (KTRK) -- Charges could soon be filed against a dog owner whose pet mauled an infant to death in northwest Harris County over the weekend.
Deputies were called to a home in the 16500 block of Cypress Bridge near Barker Cypress and Huffmeister around 9pm Saturday. Two-week-old Brayden McCollen had been in a swing in a room, alone with the 100 pound dog.
An adult was home at the time with three other children. That person heard the loud noises and ran into the room, but investigators say Brayden had already been badly injured.
The newborn was airlifted to an area hospital, but did not survive.
There is some discrepancy on what kind of dog attacked the baby. Animal control officials say the dog is a Pit Bull. The Harris County Sheriff's Office report has it listed as a Labrador retriever mix, with further specification.
The dog was taken by animal control and will be quarantined for the next 10 days. His fate will be decided after that. According to the family, the dog had never showed any signs of aggression before.
This case is being referred to the Harris County District Attorney's Office to see if charges will be filed.
Please stay with Eyewitness News and abc13.com for more information as it becomes available.
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive