Drowning probed at home of Texans player
RICHMOND, TX (KTRK) -- The home of a Houston Texans football player became the scene of a police investigation Sunday.
Investigators say a body was found at the bottom of defensive end Antonio Smith's pool this morning.
According to investigators, there was a private party with about 100 guests Saturday night at Smith's house in the 2000 block of Grand River in Richmond.
Around 9:30am Sunday, the body of a man was found in the pool.
We did not see Smith come outside of his home Sunday.
Investigators identified the victim as 37-year-old Engram Lamar Crenshaw, a family friend from the Katy area.
Detectives taped off the $500,000 home of 29-year-old Smith for most of the day while they investigated the death.
Officials say Crenshaw was last seen at 2am, which means he was dead for more than five hours before someone found him.
The party was lively, neighbors said.
"[It was] very, very crowded and they had valet parking," one neighbor said.
Smith even tweeted about the event.
"Hot and sunny out at 94's paradise ranch cowboy boots ninja mask and speedos," the tweet read.
We found a flier promoting the party online. It was a Labor Day weekend pool party and fashion show with an open bar. You had to be on a guest list to attend.
"Mr. Smith was here at the house, and I'm not sure exactly what time he went inside, but he was apparently inside when this person was last seen," said Capt. James Burger with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators say 25 people spent the night last night. They're interviewing everyone.
For now, no foul play is suspected.
"There were no abrasions, no evidence of any physical injuries to his body," Burger said.
They'll await an autopsy to learn more.
The Texans released a short statement to us about the incident late Sunday afternoon, saying: "We are aware of the situation. We are gathering facts and have no further comment at this time."
No other Texans players attended the party.
The Texans' next game is next Sunday, here at home against the Indianapolis Colts. There is no word yet on if this incident will impact Smith's participation.
local, sonia azad
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 1 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her 37 min ago
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack 53 min ago
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid 49 min ago
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube 47 min ago
- HPD officer involved in northeast Houston crash
- Neighbors forced to pull up community garden
- Arrested partiers claim Galveston police went too far
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos