Trio accused of stealing personal info from hospital patients
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Antoine Ladon Williams, 28, Shantel Moore, 29, and Patrick James Reed, 38, are all charged with engaging in organized criminal activity.
Authorities at the district attorney's office say the victims included cancer patients, as well as those waiting to receive life-organ transplants. Meanwhile, the stolen money was used to buy luxury items such as designer clothes and even a BMW convertible.
It was at Methodist Hospital in the Houston Medical Center where the Harris County District Attorney says Shantel Moore worked as a secretary and had access to the personal information of patients like 71-year-old Don Baughman -- information authorities say Moore stole and used to get cash.
"I think they're the scum of the earth and the sorriest type of people to prey on innocent victims," Baughman said.
Baughman was a patient there last year undergoing a heart valve replacement.
"They took out at least one Internet loan," he said.
According to the DA's office, Moore was in cahoots with at least two other people to steal personal information that ultimately led to them gaining thousands of dollars in cash.
"They would get money by using patients' name, date of birth and Social Security number. They would put that in an application for credit and they would get the money, and the application for credit," explained prosecutor Ed McClees. "The person left holding the bag is the bank and the victim."
Up to $100,000 in cash was stolen from at least five victims, say authorities. All victims had one thing in common -- they were cancer or transplant patients at Methodist Hospital.
Methodist officials would not say if they have changed procedures to access personal information. Instead they issued a statement saying they deeply regret the incident and are working with law enforcement.
Don Baughman says he's learned a lesson.
"I guess I considered myself lucky until I found out this was going on and I was involved," he said.
Moore has been arrested. Her bail has been set at $208,000. Also charged in this case are Antoine Ladon Williams, 28, and Patrick James Reed, 38. All three all charged with engaging in organized criminal activity. If found guilty, they could face up to life in prison as punishment.
local, cynthia cisneros
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 55 min ago
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company 53 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham' 44 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
44 min ago