Man missing after jumping off Carnival cruise ship
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- A man is missing after jumping off a cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico, officials said.
According to a statement released Saturday by Carnival Conquest, a 39-year-old male was seen jumping overboard around 6:30pm Friday while the ship was in the Gulf of Mexico, shortly after departing Cozumel.
Officials said all appropriate authorities were notified and the ship returned to the location where the man was last seen to begin search and rescue operations.
The Carnival Conquest was later released from the search while Mexican authorities continue the search and rescue efforts.
Carnival's shipboard team is providing support to the guests' family on board.
Carnival Conquest was on the final leg of a seven-day cruise that left Galveston on September 18. The ship returned to Galveston on Sunday morning.
The man's name was not released. No other details were available.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident