Boaters found safe in Galveston hotel after Coast Guard search
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- The Coast Guard has called off a search of waters near the Galveston causeway after two men in crudely built sailboats that capsized were found safe.
Watchstanders at Sector Houston-Galveston received a call from the operator of the railroad bridge at around 11am, reporting the capsized vessels near the bridge. Officials said both boats are wooden with green tarps as sails. They are about 10-15 feet in length and appear to be homemade.
A Coast Guard helicopter and two rescue vessels were summoned to look for two men, age 71 and 20.
The search was halted late Monday night after the men were found safe at a Galveston hotel. They told authorities they swam to shore after their crafts capsized.
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for northern counties
- Texans fall to Jags for 11th straight loss
- New details emerge about bizarre alleged break-in
- Live: Share Your Holidays Food Drive 57 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Ice storm in North Texas cuts power to more than 250K
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter