Local food pantries are in crisis
TULARE COUNTY, Calif. -- Workers at one South Valley food bank say they haven't seen their shelves this empty in more than twenty years.
This pantry in Visalia is running low on canned food items and it's not alone. Food pantries throughout Tulare County have been facing a shortage. Not only have food banks seen an increase in demand because of the sluggish economy... but food manufacturers have cut back on their donations due to increasing food costs.
Sandy Beals said, "Food prices have been very high, so that not only hurts people on a tight budget, it also means that less food comes here. So we've just in the last few months, we've seen a 45% cut in USDA commodities."
Experts say the food shortage crisis will only get worse... with the demand increasing even more during the holidays.
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty 54 min ago
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos