Woman's murder trial for deadly fire underway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Opening arguments began Wednesday in the murder trial of a woman accused of starting the fire that killed her daughter and a family friend.
Sharon Watkins and her husband David are charged with two counts of felony murder. Investigators say in May 2003 the couple started a fire to a small part of their home in order to collect insurance money. But the fire spread out of control, trapping their 8-year-old daughter and a friend's teenage son inside.
The husband and wife were indicted in 2008.
David Watkins is also charged. He is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.
- HPD: Dead man found at grow house
- Driver charged with murder after deadly police chase
- Sketch of rapist suspect released
- Police: W. Houston apartment fire was no accident
- Man tells deputies he shot his wife
- Liberty Co. jailer accused of smuggling drugs to inmates
- Whataburger ketchup hits grocery shelves
- Alleged drug money seized in Liberty County
- Houston city pools open this weekend
- Deputy killed in wreck to be laid to rest Saturday
- JJ Watt 'MegaWatt' shoes will soon hit store shelves
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z'
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol
- raw video: Pilot captures video of volcano eruption