Woman's murder trial for deadly fire underway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Opening arguments began Wednesday in the murder trial of a woman accused of starting the fire that killed her daughter and a family friend.
Sharon Watkins and her husband David are charged with two counts of felony murder. Investigators say in May 2003 the couple started a fire to a small part of their home in order to collect insurance money. But the fire spread out of control, trapping their 8-year-old daughter and a friend's teenage son inside.
The husband and wife were indicted in 2008.
David Watkins is also charged. He is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.
- Bodies of two women found in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged 18 min ago
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe? 1 min ago
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home 19 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan
- Save during spring break with freebies 54 min ago
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- Houston rodeo therapeutic experience for some
11 min ago