Woman's murder trial for deadly fire underway
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Opening arguments began Wednesday in the murder trial of a woman accused of starting the fire that killed her daughter and a family friend.
Sharon Watkins and her husband David are charged with two counts of felony murder. Investigators say in May 2003 the couple started a fire to a small part of their home in order to collect insurance money. But the fire spread out of control, trapping their 8-year-old daughter and a friend's teenage son inside.
The husband and wife were indicted in 2008.
David Watkins is also charged. He is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.
- Texans fire head coach Gary Kubiak 9 min ago
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for northern counties
- Texans fall to Jags for 11th straight loss
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Ice storm in North Texas cuts power to more than 250K
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County