No injuries in fire at Pasadena Refining System, Inc. plant
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Officials battled a fire at a Pasadena area plant, but there was no danger to the community.
The fire broke out shortly after 1:30pm at the Pasadena Refining System, or PRSI, plant on Red Bluff. Thick black smoke could be seen for miles.
Company spokesman Faheem Kazizi says a fire in the crude unit caused a loss of steam, prompting the thick black smoke. He adds that no one was injured. The cause of the blaze is not known at this time.
No shelter in place was issued for the community at large, but some Pasadena ISD schools on the north side of the plant were under a shelter order that has since been lifted. The impacted schools were DeZavala Elementary, Jackson Intermediate, Pasadena High, Gardens Elementary, Kruse Elementary and Richey Elementary schools. A Pasadena ISD official says students weren't on the affected campuses, due to a staff development day, but teachers and staff were on the property.
Firefighters sprayed down the scene with water, and workers could be seen milling about in the area. It took crews about an hour to put out the flames. Shortly after 4pm the official all clear was given.
Pasadena Refining System is an independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products.
If you can see the smoke, send photos or videos to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or upload them here.
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Woman at odds with auto shop after car gets stolen
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Residents on edge over string of suspicious fires
- Houston bus company owner faces charges from 2008 crash
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy
- Local burger's name catches national chain's attention
- Tropical Storm Barry headed for Veracruz, Mexico
- Thieves steal bundles of metal rods from Magnolia store
- North Forest ISD files new request to stop annexation
- Equipment theft threatens Texas Equusearch's existence
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos