Police: Murder suspect calls 911 to turn himself in
RICHMOND, TX (KTRK) -- Richmond police didn't have to go far to find the man they say shot and killed another man during an argument on Saturday night. The suspect called 911 and turned himself in.
Police say it's not every day that a suspect calls, admits to pulling the trigger in a murder, then waits to be arrested, but that's exactly what happened here.
There is still police tape still up at the Richmond apartment where Jeremy Aaron Ramirez was killed Saturday night. The 23-year-old was on Rocky Falls Road, visiting a female friend when Omar Jorge Ramos, 26, knocked on the door and allegedly forced his way in.
"Tries to hold him back, Mr. Ramos pushes her out of the way, goes into the apartment, sees Mr. Ramirez and begins shooting," Master Sgt. Lowell Neinast with the Richmond Police Department said.
Ramirez was shot at least three times. He and Ramos had argued hours before, blocks away, just outside a washateria over another woman, police say. After the shooting, Ramos apparently went right back to his house, where he dialed 911 and admitted shooting Ramirez.
Neinast said, "For a suspect to call and say hey I just shot somebody, that's a very rare circumstance. That's not something that happens all the time. It's the first time I've ever seen it happen, to tell you the truth."
The woman who lives in the apartment witnessed the ordeal. She says she is Ramos' cousin, but she's grieving also for Ramirez, who she calls a good friend. She made a brief statement through a spokesperson.
"We would like to apologize to the family of Jeremy Ramirez and do know that our deepest condolences are with the family," said Rachel Bernal, a friend of the eyewitness. "Jeremy was a great guy."
Investigators have not yet released that 911 call. They say they will once a murder charge has been filed by the district attorney. We wanted to hear Ramos' side of the story but he refused our request for interview at the jail.
richmond, local, kevin quinn
- Homeowner shoots intruder in NW Harris County 55 min ago
- HISD meet to discuss new budget proposal 14 min ago
- Committee: 'Don't tear down the Astrodome'
- Woman at odds with auto shop after car gets stolen
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Bicyclist hit by SUV in Walmart parking lot in NW Harris Co. 58 min ago
- Uncle: Aaron Hernandez had connection to murder victim 25 min ago
- Houston bus company owner faces charges from 2008 crash
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies in Italy 51 min ago
- Men's restroom visitors find themselves on camera
- Stampede over Beckham injures 5 in Shanghai 24 min ago
- otrc: John Mayer debuts new song
- abcnews: 6 ways to save money this month
- Video: Two teens saved in dramatic cliff rescue
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos