METRO rail involved in accident with dump truck in downtown Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A METRO light rail train derailed after colliding with a dump truck in downtown Houston, and more than a dozen people have been hurt.
We're told 15 people were injured, including the driver of the dump truck and the operator of the train. The injured were taken to two area hospitals -- Ben Taub and St. Josephs. There are no reports of broken bones. The injuries are said to be not life-threatening.
Authorities say a dump truck ran a red light and collided with the train. The truck driver told officials that sunlight reflecting off buildings prohibited him from seeing the red light or the METRO train.
The collision caused the train to derail. The dump truck was traveling westbound on Capitol, and the train was traveling southbound on Main.
The force of the accident caused many passengers inside the train to be thrown from their seats. At least two people were removed from the train by stretcher.
Witnesses say they had no warning to the frightening event. Passengers were jumbled and thrown around. Passengers appeared visibly upset and shaken as they exited the train.
"I just felt it hit us hard. It was kind of crazy," said one woman. "Everyone just started screaming and people just flew everywhere."
"I ended up about 10 to 15 feet from where I was," said another passenger. "There was no warning at all. I was doing this, and the next thing I was on the ground."
METRO officials took the damaged train to their repair barn on West Belfort and Fannin. Bus service was put in place to assist passengers until rail operations were restored.
The train operator Allison McKenzie, was not seriously injured but remained in the hospital at last check. METRO identified the dump truck driver as Paniagua Espino. He was ticketed for running the red light.
metro, local, cynthia cisneros
- Helping those left homeless by fire
- Man accused of leaving co-worker naked in ditch
- Cleveland ISD: Girl resisting officer hit with Taser
- 'Hero' bus driver saves girl from dog attack
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Man's body found in middle of street in SW Houston 30 min ago
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake' 21 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions jackpot numbers drawn
- Special member of abc13 family passes away
- Mandela's body arrives for viewing in South Africa 4 min ago
- What's going to be built on Beacon Island?
- You can still save on Christmas gifts
- Farmers' market fire in China's Shenzhen kills 16
- Police: Ohio infant apparently killed by dogs
- David Tillman's Wednesday weather forecast
10 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos