Jury deliberating in woman's murder trial for deadly fire
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Harris County jury is deliberating the fate of a woman accused of starting the fire that killed her young daughter and a family friend.
Sharon Watkins, who surrendered to authorities three years ago, and her husband David Watkins, are charged with two counts of felony murder.
Investigators say in May 2003, the couple started a fire to a small part of their home to collect insurance money, but the fire spread out of control, trapping their 8-year-old daughter and a friend's teenage son inside.
The husband and wife were indicted in 2008.
David Watkins is also charged. He is scheduled to appear in court on Friday.
- ABC News: Oklahoma tornado death toll rises to 91 46 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 11 min ago
- Ex-teen sex slave devotes new life to helping others
- Houston Super Bowl committee making its pitch in Boston
- Two arrested for trespassing after found on roof of church 5 min ago
- Toby Keith says Oklahoma hometown is 'strong' 9 min ago
- 1 arrested, 3 others sought in Alief murders
- Photos: LEGO KidsFest in Houston
- otrc: 'Anchorman 2' teaser trailer released
- abcnews: Victoria's Secret rejects 'survivor' bra