Amber Alert canceled after authorities find missing 6-year-old Alvin boy safe
ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- A 6-year-old boy who was missing for more than 24 hours and became the subject of an Amber Alert was reunited with his mother Tuesday evening.
The Alvin mother says she never leaves her son with her boyfriend and the one time she did, her son was nowhere to be found. But just before 9pm Tuesday, they were reunited.
Six-year-old Gerardo, Jr. Olvera's mother left him home from school Monday with her boyfriend, 26-year-old Sergio Armando Hernandez, because the boy was sick. She also left Hernandez, who is not the biological father, her truck and debit card. But he never arrived with Olvera to pick her up from work at 5pm Monday.
An Amber Alert was issued Tuesday just before 6pm, and police say it worked. League City police spotted the vehicle, pulled it over at FM 646 and Highway 3 and took the boyfriend into custody. Police then called the boy mother and biological father to the scene, but the boy is just fine.
Hernandez now faces charges of unauthorized use of a motorized vehicle and possibly endangering a child.
It's not clear why he took off with the child.
Police say Hernandez has a past history of drug use and has a gang affliation.
local, erik barajas
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters 54 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou