Pasadena girl's coach accused of improper relationship with a student
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A Pasadena ISD coach appeared in court Friday amid allegations she had an improper relationship with a 14-year-old student.
Former Thompson Intermediate School coach Rebecca Rose Delagarza, 26, was arrested Thursday on two counts of sexual assault of a child and two counts of improper relationship with a student. She is accused of having an eight-month sexual relationship with one of her students.
Authorities allege Delagarza had sexual contact with the girl on a weekly basis on school campus, according to a probable cause document.
Police were notified of the alleged relationship when the girl's mother discovered suspicious text messages and phone calls between Delagarza and her daughter. An investigation then determined that Delagarza had exchanged more than 22,000 text messages with the girl and the two had made more than 2,000 phone calls to each other between September 2010 and June 2011.
"The defendant was her coach. They engaged in an improper relationship over a period of months; text messaging as well as sexual activity," said prosecutor Denise Nichols.
Detectives say two other coaches at the school also had noticed the two constantly hanging out in Delagarza's office during the school year.
She was placed on administrative leave this summer.
Delagarza is free on $30,000 bond and her case was reset to November.
- Man collapses in street and dies in SW Houston 21 min ago
- Coyote's wild run through Hobby, but no roadrunner in sight
- Time Magazine names its Person of the Year
- Video from violent fast food robbery released
- Wreck causes fire in Tomball gas station parking lot
- Alcohol sales rules could change in Houston 43 min ago
- Mom accused of whipping girl with jump rope 52 min ago
- More Astrodome seats to go on sale today
- Spring woman accused of injuring elderly man
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Marine's body sent home without heart
- Speed may be to blame for fatal accident
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Want to buy pot, legally? Head to Uruguay
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos